Butter Rum Cartoon

Butter Rum Cartoon
CLICK HERE FOR CONTENTS OF THIS WHOLE BLOG, OR USE THE SEARCH BAR BELOW

Search the Butter Rum Cartoon

Monday, April 29, 2013

MAKING OLD BODIES YOUNG by BERNARR MACFADDEN

Bernarr Macfadden, 1868-1955

I purchased from somebody online a copy of Bernarr Macfadden's 1915 book, Vitality Supreme, and as an unexpected bonus the seller threw in something even better (and more apropos to me):  Bernarr Macfadden's Making Old Bodies Young: Thirty-Eight Lessons in Building Vitality and Nerve Force and in the Art of Postponing Old Age, published in 1919.  I had never heard of this series of lessons, and had no idea how valuable it is until I began reading it recently.  It's published quite quaintly.  It has a plain slip-cover.  You slide out what looks like a book (see picture), but it's a false cover wrapped around 16 booklets comprising the 38 lessons, with entire contents printed on the inside.  It's less intimidating this way, because it doesn't (seem to) take long at all to get through each booklet, and the booklets as you read them are easier to carry around.

Now at 64 (old according to the Beatles), I feel my lifetime of lazy posture and bad eating habits catching up to me, as well as arthritis from past injuries, and know that if I continue the status quo I probably won't even live out my allotted three score and ten years.  This set of lessons, almost a hundred years old, thrown in as a gift from a stranger, is a real boon.





______
For the complete contents of the Butter Rum Cartoon, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment